Learning Chef Series
- Part 1 - Introduce the project, configure workstation, and register a node with hosted Chef
- Part 2 - Download cookbooks from the community site, add MongoDB, Apache, and Passenger to our node
- Part 3 - Start writing a cookbook to deploy our application
- Part 4 - Finish the application deploy, introduce roles
- Part 5 - Multi-node Vagrant
- Part 6
Part 3 of our Learning Chef tutorial was run as a Google+ Hangout that was streamed to YouTube.
In Part 3, we added a bunch of cookbooks from the community site including git, application, and application_ruby. After adding these cookbooks, we created a cookbook of our own to deploy a sample Rails application.
The application wasn’t fully deployed by the end of the tutorial but we’ll pick-up from there next time.
I’ll update this post soon with a breakdown of each step we took during this session. In the meantime, you can watch the entire video below.
Also, you can grab the code from the following repositories on github:
In Learning Chef - Part 4 we finish the deployment of the sample application and then explore roles.